No-Bake Butterscotch-Pretzel Bars

Summer is swiftly passing by.  School will be starting in just a couple of weeks.  My oldest is starting junior high this year.  That makes me feel old!  I think everyone is ready to jump back into their school schedules.  My 8 yr. old can't wait to see all her friends and teachers again.  My 4 yr. old asks me almost everyday when preschool will start.  We'll be back to early mornings, packing lunches, homework and everything else that comes with the school year.  The kids are ready, but am I?!

No-Bake Butterscotch-Pretzel Bars look like they'd be great in a lunchbox or as an after school treat for the kids---and mom.  Moms need treats, too.  And don't forget Dad.  He'd probably enjoy one of these in his lunch too!  Really, who doesn't like a treat every once in a while?  Share some with your friends, neighbors or co-workers (as long as they're not allergic to peanuts).  

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups crushed pretzels (about 6-1/2 ounces)
1 (11 ounce package--about 2 cups) butterscotch-flavored pieces
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
Directions 
1. Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with foil. Lightly coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, stir together powdered sugar, peanut butter, and melted butter. Stir in 2 cups crushed pretzels. Press mixture firmly into the bottom of prepared pan.

2. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine butterscotch pieces and whipping cream. Stir over low heat until pieces are just melted.

3. Carefully spoon and spread butterscotch mixture over crumb mixture in pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup coarsely crushed pretzels and the peanuts evenly over butterscotch mixture; press gently.

4. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars to serve. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.



The Results...
Salty and sweet.  Satisfy both cravings at once!  These bars are easy to put together and you don't have to turn on the oven.  But, they do require 2 hours in the refrigerator to set-up, plan accordingly.  They were a little crumbly when I cut into them, but I knew the kids thought these were good since they asked to lick the crumbs from the cutting board.  These bars are very tasty and definitely worth sharing.

Looking ahead, I think these would be great for the holidays, too---cookie exchanges/neighbor gifts.  This recipe is a keeper!

This recipe is featured at:
Mix it up Monday @ Flour Me with Love   
Mom's Test Meal Mondays @ Mom's Test Kitchen 
Foodie Friends Friday--Click Star 

This recipe is also shared at
 
and these linky parties.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, as soon as I saw these I had to stop right over, they look delicious and I love how they are "no-bake." Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :) I can't believe school is starting already too..time flies by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. "No-Bake" recipes are especially nice this time of year! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Yum - these look so delicious! I love salty-sweet combos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole. Salty and sweet are so tasty together! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Very nice blog. I am following you now. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different ingredient. Last week it was Berries and Currants. This week it is pork. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following. I will definitely head over to your blog and check out your Food on Friday series. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. These sound so good! I know my kiddo would love them! And I love that they do not require making my kitchen hot!! :) Thank you for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday Lady!! You are being featured again this week!! Keep those recipes coming!! :) Next week I've got a giveaway included so you won't want to miss it!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the feature. I definitely don't want to miss the giveaway.:) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. these looks sinful... Would love to make them but need to change the pb to something else... Hubby has an pb sensitivity. thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butterscotch and pretzels sounds so good together! Thanks for posting at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "no bake" is pretty much music to my ears right now! i love this idea. it's like 100* in Los Angeles right now!

    i think a bunch of my readers would want to try these-- would you share them at my new link party? http://www.happyhomeblog.com/weekend-warrior/weekend-warrior-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I just went over and shared this recipe. Stay cool and I hope you enjoy these yummy bars!

      Delete
  8. Anything that requires zero heat is my best friend as far as recipes go right now...these look great. Might give them a try over the weekend if I have to leave the oven off much longer. Glad I found your blog...Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy these bars. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Wow! These look so good! And the fact that they are no bake is awesome!! I am a new follower! I would LOVE for you to join my site as well! :)

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over and following. I am also following your recipe blog now. We both like to try new recipes! :)

      Delete
  10. These look very good. Thanks for sharing. I am stopping by from Six Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom's totally need treats, and this one looks right up my alley. PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! And I think we could call them healthy with peanut butter and pretzels!! :) Can't wait to try them! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We loved having you and hope you will come back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look SO GOOD! I'm going to share your link on my FB page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael Ann,
      Thank you for stopping by and for sharing this recipe!

      Delete
  14. What kind of butterscotch pieces do you recommend??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use the Nestle brand of butterscotch baking chips. They are our favorite.

      http://www.verybestbaking.com/Toll-House/Products/MorselsAndBaking/Butterscotch-Morsels.aspx

      Delete
  15. Do you need to use the whipping cream? Or is their a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sadly these have nuts kids cannot take nuts to school all schools have them banned :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maxcine. Our schools don't ban nuts, so it's OK for us. But, yes these wouldn't be treats to send into a nut-free school. They would still be a yummy after school treat when the kids get home though! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment